The NBA's salary cap for next year has been set at $58,679,000. The minimum payroll is 90% of the cap, meaning it will be $52,811,000 (rounded). The luxury tax for next season was also set and will be $71,748,000. See here and here for details.
The luxury tax this year will be a graduated tax, meaning the penalty for payrolls over the tax level will increases as a payroll increases beyond various step levels. Previously, a team that exceeded the tax level paid a $1 tax for each $1 payroll exceeded the tax level. Here are the details (source).
- Portion of team salary $0-$4.99 million over tax level: $1.50 for $1
- Portion of team salary $5-$9.99 million over tax level: $1.75 for $1
- Portion of team salary $10-$14.99 million over tax level: $2.50 for $1
- Portion of team salary $15-$19.99 million over tax level: $3.25 for $1
- Rates increase by $0.50 for each additional $5 million of team salary above the tax level.