Mike Leach, Texas Tech head football coach and pirate afficianado addressed the press today at the Big XII media days. He is also one of the most colorful interviewees in college football today. The following are Dave Matter's Twitter posts, verbatim, from the media gathering.
- Leach feels really good about QB mix. "If Potts is our starter, I know we got a good one. If someone beats him out, we got a better one."
- Leach on DE McKinner Dixon's departure: "I think it'll help our team. That's addition by subtraction." Ouch.
- Leach on the complex process of fixing Taylor Potts' passing mechanics: "Hey, Taylor, lift your elbow up."
- Leach: I've studied tattoos and body piercing over the years. ... It's not my cup of tea but there's a creative element to it.
- Leach: "If I would be interested in something it would be a piercing bc if I got tired of it I could pull it out."
- Leach hopped on 64-team playoff soapbox. "Everyone else does it this way. I'm the mainstream." Imagine that
- Leach: "Everyone thinks I went into a cave and carried this out." Nope. He cites the playoff systems in Texas HS, Division 2 & 3 and NFL.
Dave Matter is the Mizzou football beat writer for the Columbia Daily Tribune and one of the best college football bloggers (and not because he covers Mizzou, although that's a definite plus). Here is his Twitter page. Here is his Behind the Stripes college football blog.